Friday, April 18, 2008

a dios

For those who haven't heard, in a little more than a week I'll be moving out of Omaha. I accepted a job as Promotions Director for KXOJ radio in Tulsa, OK and I start May 1st. This couldn't be a better job for me, and couldn't have come at a better time. I went to school for broadcasting, but had a difficult time finding a job when I left school, finding a majority of my experience was either irrelevant or didn't reflect well on paper. I finally made the decision to quit the radio station I was working part time at and go full force into hospitality, which I had been doing for years to get me through college. I had been doing well with it and had been looked at for promotion but always overlooked because they knew I was always looking for my "out". My plan was to get myself up to a management level then make another run for radio. That way I always had something to fall back on.


I reached that level about 2 months and began looking for stuff in radio again. I had known it was going to be tough to get back into, but I had no idea how hard. I couldn't get a radio station to even look at me not having much more than 3 years experience and it had been over a year since my last radio job. I began looking at internships that i could put 10-15 flexible hours into while working at the hotel, just to get my foot back in the door.


Then I got a call back from a hotel I had applied for a Front Office Manager position at. I knew the position had been filled so I stopped thinking about it, but they called and offered me the job of Assistant Front Office Manager and told me I would have a pretty good shot at a FOM position at another property very soon. It was a pretty good offer, and I expected to take it, but told them I wanted to take a few days to think about it. A couple days later was when I got the e-mail about this radio position. I stalled them through the weekend and told them I would give them an answer by the end of the day Monday. Through much prayer, I called the hotel and turned down the offer, still not knowing if I had the radio job. I interviewed that Wednesday, and was told it would be a week from Friday when I would find out. They called Monday!


So for those in the area who want to see me before I leave, give me a shout and we'll try to get something together.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I grew up in the country with my nearest neighbor being almost a mile away. I was also the youngest in the family and the only boy. Growing up, I didn't have a lot of "playmates" so I found ways of entertaining myself. I could go outside on a nice fall Saturday (or frigid Iowa winter) and not come in until dark. My childhood is what cultivated my active imagination, or "specialness" as my mom always called it.