Tuesday, May 13, 2008

I'm a Sports Animal

I did my first real remote today. The company I work for also owns a sports station, and every now and then I'll have to go out on remotes with them if their guy can't make it. It was quite a bit of fun. There is a neighboring town called Muskogee thats about 45 minutes from Tulsa and they were having a charity golf tournament with some Heisman Trophy winners so we were there promoting that. What was cool was the Heisman winners that were going to be playing in this tournament were Mike Rozier, Eric Crouch, and Johnny Rodgers from the Huskers (and George Rogers of the South Carolina Gamecocks, but who cares about him, right?)

So the sports show that was broadcasting live at this event was all about Nebraska... sorta. I'm used to sports talk radio talking about the Huskers, but remember, I'm in Sooner country! (For those of my collegiate football challenged friends, there is a long time rival between the Nebraska Cornhuskers and the Okalhoma Sooners in college football. If you've ever seen any college football clips, you've probably seen the "Play of the Century" where Rodgers returns a punt 72 yards for a touchdown against OU. Also, a few years ago, Eric Crouch ran a trick play against OU which I believe he called a "41 Flash Pass Reverse" where he threw [and caught] at 62-yard touchdown pass to beat OU who were at the time the defending National Champions.) Sorry to get off on a football tangent, but this gives you some perspective at the type of rivalry I'm in the middle of down here. So, back to the sports talk radio. Sample question: "Who of these three Nebraska players was the biggest thorn in OU's side?" "If you had the opportunity to play against these guys in the golf outing, who would you most want to kick the tar out of?" It was a good time. Oh, and I found out one of my co-works is Pat Jones, famed head coach of the Oklahoma State Cowboys where he coached guys like Thurman Thomas and Barry Sanders. He was also later assistant coach for the Dolphins and Raiders.

Anyways, that was my day yesterday. I spent the rest of the time catching up from all the work lost from being gone all day, but managed to still get out around 6.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
I grew up in the country with my nearest neighbor being almost a mile away. I was also the youngest in the family and the only boy. Growing up, I didn't have a lot of "playmates" so I found ways of entertaining myself. I could go outside on a nice fall Saturday (or frigid Iowa winter) and not come in until dark. My childhood is what cultivated my active imagination, or "specialness" as my mom always called it.