Tuesday, August 12, 2008

A good day in radio

Today was one of those days that at the end, I just had to sigh and say "I love my job". I enjoy my job daily, even those days that are spent mostly puttsing around on the internet and waiting for my phone to ring.

I had a meeting at a church this morning to see what they had to work with for a concert we are bringing in next month. Most venues, we have to cart in a lot of our own stuff, or make do with some of the arrangements they have (green rooms in classrooms, renting a generator to power the lights and sound being brought in, guys suspended from the ceiling holding flashlights to get a spotlight). This church just built a new auditorium and they said it was built with concerts and events in mind. He said they designed the addition after a PAC (performing arts center). It was truly amazing. He also showed me a video room which alone made me want to become a member of the church. They record all the sermons and have a full TV production studio to air it complete with multiple Apple's with all the latest studio and video programs available, flatscreen preview and program monitors, state of the art switcher panels... EVERYTHING! I seriously loved it. Then, the guy who runs their AV dept used to be in a Christian band so I got to hear him and my boss trade war stories, which I always enjoy hearing.

So I returned and my boss told me there was a label stopping by with a new band and that I should introduce myself since I worked with these regularly. I had already worked with one of the guys quite a bit so it was good to meet him. They were going to take my boss and our music director out to lunch and since the label was paying for it anyway, the guy from the label invited me too (which I think caught my boss off guard that the label was willing to spend more money). So more war stories, and met new friends.

Well, to highlight the day, yesterday I had e-mailed my boss and asked him for some actual on-air time. Currently, I am voice tracking weekends for one of our stations which broadcasts out of Muskogee. Its not nearly the money maker our Tulsa station is, and in all honesty, basically just gets the leftovers from KXOJ. Its still on-air, but its not a huge deal. From the time I interviewed for this job, I left my boss know I was interested in some future on-air time. He said, yeah sure, but just kinda shelved it. Well, in the car ride to the meeting this morning, he said it was funny that I brought it up yesterday because he just heard me for the first time over the weekend and thought to himself he needed to get me on-air. Unfortunately, its not really in the budget for now, but starting next week, he is going to start me off on some weekends for KXOJ. Its a small step, but a step forward nonetheless!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude! Congrats, MAN! What kinds of weekend stuff? Like having your own show or just little blurps in between songs and commercials? Good work, buddy!

~amyjo said...

Great news! It's unfortunate that we learn all of each others big news via blogosphere...

bpurdy said...

way to be awesome!
...girl.

About Me

My photo
I grew up in the country with my nearest neighbor being almost a mile away. I was also the youngest in the family and the only boy. Growing up, I didn't have a lot of "playmates" so I found ways of entertaining myself. I could go outside on a nice fall Saturday (or frigid Iowa winter) and not come in until dark. My childhood is what cultivated my active imagination, or "specialness" as my mom always called it.