Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Packaging Innovations

I've been trying out different quick lunches (mostly microwaveable) to try to cut down on my food costs. I recently looked at how much I'm spending on food alone and realized those $7 per meal lunches really add up! I usually have a cup of yogurt on my way to work and have a later lunch of something simple like a TV dinner or leftovers from food i made the night before. I've been trying out different microwaveable meals to find an equal balance of cheap, simple, and filling and that led me to today's product. Michelina's Tuscan-Inspired Alfredo available in your Wal-mart freezer section for less than a dollar! Now, I was fortunate to grow up in a house where both parents were great cooks so I don't have a lot of experience with TV dinners. If this is the norm, I think I can revolutionize the TV dinner industry with this handy innovation: Directions on the top of the box. Still frozen, I turned the packaging upside down and begin to read the directions. The first one? "Tear back lid about halfway to allow product to vent" followed by cooking instructions. So not only do you have to turn the product upside down to find out how to cook, but the first instruction it gives you is "open me."

Don't think I did anything as stupid as to dump out my lunch. I understand it is possible to read instructions without turning it upside down, however, in lifting it above my head the flimsy container nearly spilled on me twice. I just think its a law suit waiting to happen.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

HAHA! That is kind of like when they hang "Watch Your Step" signs from the ceiling. LOL.

Dude, those microwave dinners are crap. Why don't you take some sandwiches, carrots, pudding, and fruit and stuff? I think I spend about 10 to 12 dollars a week on lunches. Ain't no thang...

But GOD! I can't stand microwave dinners. Sorry, God. You had nothing to do with this.

About Me

My photo
I grew up in the country with my nearest neighbor being almost a mile away. I was also the youngest in the family and the only boy. Growing up, I didn't have a lot of "playmates" so I found ways of entertaining myself. I could go outside on a nice fall Saturday (or frigid Iowa winter) and not come in until dark. My childhood is what cultivated my active imagination, or "specialness" as my mom always called it.