Thursday, September 25, 2008

Jon Foreman - Switchfootless

So when I was home my buddy Nicholas Petersen, who is a great musician I know and always has great musical recommendations, was raving about Jon Foreman's new solo album. I recognized the name but it took a bit to get over my pride of "I should know this" to ask who it was. Well, he's the lead singer for Switchfoot and back in the day, before all you mainstream folks heard of Switchfoot, he was putting out great music with deep, meaningful lyrics. Being in radio I understand songs have to be "radio-friendly" with a catchy hook or simple melody and it seems Switchfoot has been able to keep in the limelight, but they have definitely left us to wonder, does Jon Foreman still have those meaningful lyrics in him?

About a year ago Jon Foreman began a series of four releases titled Fall, Winter, Spring, and Summer. In it, he showcases he still has that deep musical talent that made him famous. Its nothing like any of his Switchfoot stuff and would probably best be compared to Sufjan Stevens or Bright Eyes (circa Four Winds or I'm Wide Awake It's Morning.


Fall - This was his first release and it starts off with the song "The Cure for Pain", perhaps the most recognized of his solo releases. The song is about his struggles with being a part of the band and the reflection on the passing of time. The album rounds out with 5 equally as melancholly tracks that make you just want to lie back and enjoy. This blog has taken me 30 minutes so far because I keep finding myself pausing to just listen. Its the kind of music you just can't help trying to sing along to, even if you don't know the lyrics.

Tracks:
1. The Cure for Pain
2. Southbound Train
3. Lord, Save Me From Myself
4. Equally Skilled
5. The Moon is a Magnet
6. My Love Goes Free


Winter - I find this album is a stretch for Jon musically. Not in a bad way like a girl in club says "They tell me I look like Jessica Alba" and you think "That's a stretch". I mean he stretches beyond what he's used to. The third track, "Somebody's Baby", seems normal enough but in the lyrics you find the telling of God's love for even the lowliest of people you pass on the streets. Its about a homeless girl with a drug problem who is found dead and has to be identified by dental records. It tells us "the birth and the death were both over with no one to grieve" but the chorus sings out "She's somebody's baby, still". White as Snow is a cry out to God for forgiveness. Jon once said "For us, these songs are for everyone... ...Music has always opened my mind and that's what we want." in response to calling him a Christian artist. So although his faith is strong, you don't always see it in his music. I'm not one that thinks every song a Christian artist puts out needs to be a proclamation of faith, but its refreshing to see they don't shy away from it. The song has a very Oriental feel to it along with the final track, "In Love".

Tracks:
1. Learning How to Die
2. Behind Your Eyes
3. Somebody's Baby
4. White As Snow
5. I Am Still Running
6. In Love


Spring - As you might expect, this album is more upbeat than the previous two albums with themes revolving around life and rebirthing. It aptly starts with the song "March" that had me thinking Belle and Sebastian right away and goes on to feature other tracks speaking of love and hope like "Love isn't Made" which he is joined in vocals by his wife, Emily, along with Chirstian artist Sarah Masen, who is his sister-in-law. The track "Your Love is Strong" ends with a great rendition of the Lord's Prayer. Fall and Spring are my two favorite seasons. Fall and Spring are also my two favorite EPs.

Tracks:
1. March (A Prelude to Spring)
2. Love Isn't Made
3. In My Arms
4. Baptize My Mind
5. Your Love Is Strong
6. Revenge


Summer - Like Spring, this album keeps the songs a little more upbeat and a stays away from the somberness of Fall and Winter. The second track, "Resurrect Me" is almost a completely different feel than any of the other songs on any of the EPs with upbeat drum beats, electric guitars, and a fuller vocal sound. This is also the most reverant EP with tracks that make no doubt where Foreman's faith lies. "House of God, Forever" is basically a reprisal of the 23rd Psalm and the last track "Again" tells of God remaining as true today as he did yesterday and asks us to turn our hearts to Him.

Tracks:
1. A Mirror is Harder to Hold
2. Resurrect Me
3. Deep in Your Eyes (There is a River)
4. Instead of a Show
5. House of God, Forever
6. Again


I'd definitely recommend downloading these 4 EPs (legally!) and have given all 4 the "David Wage Stamp of Approval"! If you're short on the cash, and just want to get the "best of" these CDs, Limbs and Branches is expected to release October 28th and will consist of a selection of fan-picked songs from the EPs, along with two new tracks. I took a look at the track listing and it pretty much catches all the best songs. But they're all great!

Tracks:
1. Your Love is Strong (Spring)
2. Behind Your Eyes (Winter)
3. The Cure for Pain (Fall)
4. Resurrect Me (Summer)
5. Southbound Train (Fall)
6. Broken From the Start (new song)
7. The House of God, Forever (Summer)
8. Instead of a Show (Summer)
9. A Mirror is Harder to Hold (Summer)
10. In My Arms (Spring)
11. Learning How to Die (Winter)
12. Over the River (new song)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for this. A special lady friend recommended some of Foreman's solo stuff to me this morning. I searched for info online and stumbled upon your blog. VERY helpful! Thanks, David. -Shasa in Chicago

About Me

My photo
I grew up in the country with my nearest neighbor being almost a mile away. I was also the youngest in the family and the only boy. Growing up, I didn't have a lot of "playmates" so I found ways of entertaining myself. I could go outside on a nice fall Saturday (or frigid Iowa winter) and not come in until dark. My childhood is what cultivated my active imagination, or "specialness" as my mom always called it.