Friday, June 27, 2008

E-mail Scares

This is partially in response to a blog Andy @ bloginyourface had posted about a Best Buy e-mail he had gotten. Ironically I had just been thinking about posting a blog about this site, as I refer to it at least once nearly every week.

We've all gotten those e-mails - Little Jimmy has cancer and if you forward this e-mail AOL will donate money for ever person who receives it. - or - Forward this e-mail to get a cool video to pop up. Many of us aren't so naive anymore and know better than to believe these crazy hoaxes(despite the frequent forwards and myspace posts I still receive), but what about the ones that are a little less obvious such as the above mentioned Best Buy e-mail my friend Andy received.

Snopes.com is a website that with a quick search of your subject can prove or disprove any of your urban legend questions. Generally the format of the site is to state the claim being debated, tell whether it is true or false, then support its answer. Nearly every e-mail I have ever gotten I've been able to find on this site such as the Best Buy disgruntled customer.

Besides e-mails, it also goes into other common wives tales or urban legends such as gum taking seven years to be digested, or hair growing back thicker after being shaved, or a tooth left in a glass of Coke will dissolve over night. There's also a whole list of true and fake viruses you get warnings about through various e-mails.

So next time you get one of these e-mails, check out snopes.com before you hit that FWD button.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes!!! Snopes rules. I spent many a bored hour at work surfing that little gem. I didn't even think to look there for that Best Buy e-mail, though. They do a better job of explaining it than my guest poster did. I might have to link that.

About Me

My photo
I grew up in the country with my nearest neighbor being almost a mile away. I was also the youngest in the family and the only boy. Growing up, I didn't have a lot of "playmates" so I found ways of entertaining myself. I could go outside on a nice fall Saturday (or frigid Iowa winter) and not come in until dark. My childhood is what cultivated my active imagination, or "specialness" as my mom always called it.