Tuesday, June 24, 2008

Floor 42

So I've had this curiousity of what's on the 42nd floor for quite some time now. My office is on the 55th floor, so quite often, I am the last off the elevator and I've gotten into the habit of reading the directory that's posted in the elevator to see where they work. I've always been a people watcher and I'm getting to the point where I'm starting to recognize people because of our "elevator relationship" so I just wonder what they do.

The 42nd floor has been shrouded in mystery, however. Its primarily young people getting on and off the elevator (probably around my age) and often times they are people most would consider to be of the attractive variety, and they are always dressed in business professional attire. The floor isn't posted on the directory, however, and its the only one. It also has to be accessed by a proximity key. This of course has made my curiousity and imagination run wild. I had some grandiose ideas but considering them highly unlikely, I had pretty much settled on it being some type of telemarketing company or demographic research, or at the top of my list, the center for those pyramid schemes... something along those lines anyway.

Well, today a lady pressed the button and she had a nametag hanging around her neck, but it was backwards. It seems fate stepped in because she dropped some papers and bent down to pick them up. When she stood up, the tag had flipped over. -Guardian Security Systems-

I googled it and it appears to be your average home security company. My conspiratist mind is convinced its more than that. I'm sure its just like the monitoring center or the sales office or something, but I'm quite happy thinking its something more. It's more fun that way.

I'm waiting for the day a suit with dark glasses and an in-ear monitor stops on that floor.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

At least you have a conspiratist mind and not a constipayatist butt.

I am curious, when they get off the elevator is it like the original "Get Smart" opening credits where they go through several doors including one that is disguised as a jail cell?

Unknown said...

I think you have stumbled on to the headquarters of "24". Jack Baurer be showing up any day. I dare you to dress "business" and get off with them sometime. Check it out and report back to us. We want to know what is on "the other side of the elevator door!!!"

Anonymous said...

Floor 42/24 .... Think about it!!!

About Me

My photo
I grew up in the country with my nearest neighbor being almost a mile away. I was also the youngest in the family and the only boy. Growing up, I didn't have a lot of "playmates" so I found ways of entertaining myself. I could go outside on a nice fall Saturday (or frigid Iowa winter) and not come in until dark. My childhood is what cultivated my active imagination, or "specialness" as my mom always called it.