Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Conquering my fear

I have a little confession to make. I've had a fear of Blockbuster for quite some time and I finally tackled my fears and signed up for a membership thanks to a "movie date" I had. It all came down to what I wanted more I guess.

It all started about 4 or 5 years ago when I had a movie weekend with a girl I was dating at the time. We rented about 5 movies and settled in for the weekend. I gave them to said girl to take back to Blockbuster which was of course, before their "No Late Fees". About 6 months later I got an angry phone call that I owed them 5 movies and like $100 in late fees. What the heck!?! I didn't even know what movies I had rented by this point! People mock the "no late fees" campaign because they still charge you, they just change the name to "restocking fee" or just sell you the movie. If you're like 2 days late or a week late, yeah, its kinda bogus but for guys like me whose girlfriends say they will take 5 movies back and then don't, you begin to understand the concept a little better. So, I approached said ex-girlfriend and, oh, guess what! They were STILL in the back of her car. I took them back in and explained it hoping I could reach a settlement, looking for the cashier most likely to understand the girlfriend card. He basically told me to pay up or he'd call the police. I knew he couldn't really do that so I just left and haven't walked back in to a blockbuster since.

I honestly was a little nervous going in there because the first time I signed up for a Blockbuster Membership it was like applying for a car loan. They took my soc number, DL#, and all kinds of other stuff. I thought they'd run my soc# and tell me I owed them like $800 or something. It was pretty painless and now I'm a card carrying member of Blockbuster Video. (except they don't give you cards anymore)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Way to go, Dave. Its people like you that don't pay late fees that send our country into a recession. Ugh!!!

About Me

My photo
I grew up in the country with my nearest neighbor being almost a mile away. I was also the youngest in the family and the only boy. Growing up, I didn't have a lot of "playmates" so I found ways of entertaining myself. I could go outside on a nice fall Saturday (or frigid Iowa winter) and not come in until dark. My childhood is what cultivated my active imagination, or "specialness" as my mom always called it.