Saturday, July 12, 2008

The Miracles of Craigslist

So lets just get right down to. I'm broke. I'm pretty sure I've got a job secured at a 5 diamond hotel down here that will have me working a few nights a week, but in the mean time I decided to go the way a friend of mine did to earn some extra cash for his wedding. He posted an ad on Craigslist that said he was available for odd and end jobs if needed. I did the same and within 24 hours I already had 4 e-mails asking for help.

So my question is, whats a reasonable rate to charge? One of them wanted me to put together an 10x10 metal shed. (gravel for the floor, assemble the frame, put metal up on the outside). Another gal needed help unloading a small rental truck. There's a good amount of stuff, but nothing extrememly big. She thought it would only take 2 hours or so.

So what do you all think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Dude, I say you come up with an hourly rate on your own. Most people on there already have a set rate (a flat rate) in mind that they want to pay you. I would say that 10 dollars should be your minimum hourly wage. However, if someone asks you ahead of time how much you charge, don't answer them. Turn it right back around on them and say "What do you think is reasonable?"

If that lady says "50 dollars" and it only takes you 2 hours, well then that is great. If she says "15 dollars" then you say, "Actually I was thinking 10 dollars an hour so lets make it 20." If you tell her 10 dollars ahead of time, you will only get 20 bucks out of the deal and they will get what they consider to be a bargain.

I don't know if that makes any sense.

About Me

My photo
I grew up in the country with my nearest neighbor being almost a mile away. I was also the youngest in the family and the only boy. Growing up, I didn't have a lot of "playmates" so I found ways of entertaining myself. I could go outside on a nice fall Saturday (or frigid Iowa winter) and not come in until dark. My childhood is what cultivated my active imagination, or "specialness" as my mom always called it.