Friday, July 4, 2008

Happy Independence Day!

So I've got the day off and my sister is out of town, so until tonight, I'll probably spend a majority of the day hanging out at the house. Those who know me know how much I love movies, so I thought I would share my love with you and give you a list of movies to watch to get you in to the spirit of Independence. I'm not much into film noir so some of the older movies that probably should be on this list (Yankee Doodle Dandy[1942], or Stars and Stripes Forever[1952]) won't be. If you have your favorite Independence Day movie, leave it in a comment!


The Sandlot[1993]

New to the neighborhood, Scotty Smalls seeks the friendship of a team of outcasts who meet at the local sandlot to play baseball every day. The team star, Benny Rodriguez teaches him how to play and Smalls becomes an integral part of the team, as well as part of this group of friends.

To me, this is one of those great American movies that everyone should see. I've come to love baseball over the last couple of years and the themes of the game, comradery, and responsibility make this a great movie. The standout scene for me, and the reason its on my 4th of July pick list, is the one that takes place on Independence Day. You hear a Ray Charles rendition of America the Beautiful playing over scenes of a neighborhood celebration and the kids playing baseball. The fireworks start and all the kids just forget all about the game and just stare up wide-eyed and mystified at the fireworks.


Rocky[1975]

Rocky Balboa, a second-rate boxer, is offered the opportunity to fight the world heavyweight champion, Apollo Creed, for a shot at the title.

Why is this a Fourth of July pick? Well, the title-fight takes place in Philidelphia on the 4th. That and Apollo Creed's Uncle Sam outfit and American flag shorts. Rocky is a great underdog story that you also get to see two guys beat the crap out of each other.


National Treasure[2004]

Ben Gates has spent his whole life searching for a treasure that has been passed down through the centuries and hidden by our fore-fathers over 200 years ago. After also becoming a fugitive from the FBI, he puts his whole career and life on the line to find the treasure.

This movie makes a great pick because of the historical figures and locations about our nations history that are weaved in to the plot line. As a friend of mine said after living in DC for a few months, "I felt like I was living the National Treasure movie."


Independence Day[1996]

When aliens invade and are intent on destruction and domination, Captain Steven Hiller and scientist, David Levinson may be the only hope. After Hiller is able to bring one of the alien crafts down and Levinson is able to crack the alien countdown their knowledge may save the world and make the 4th of July and Independence Day for the world to share.

The title alone should make this movie holiday worthy. The countdown to the end of the world ends on July 4th so when they save the day and destroy the aliens (sorry if i spoiled it because I'm sure you didn't see that coming) Independence Day takes on a new meaning, and not just for the US, but for the whole world.


Thats all for my movie picks. Here's something to end this blog of freedom on. Thanks to joMAMA for pointing me in the direction of this video. God bless America.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Forrest Gump seems like a good movie to watch on 4th of July. It seems like every American dream and hardship in the last 50 years was portrayed in that movie.

~amyjo said...

Ahhh...I anonymously made your blog! Very sweet of you. (Please take note that such a compliment should override my tardiness in reading this entry.)

For the sole fact that I really enjoy the red, white, and blue Mini Coopers, I'd add Italian Job to the list :)

About Me

My photo
I grew up in the country with my nearest neighbor being almost a mile away. I was also the youngest in the family and the only boy. Growing up, I didn't have a lot of "playmates" so I found ways of entertaining myself. I could go outside on a nice fall Saturday (or frigid Iowa winter) and not come in until dark. My childhood is what cultivated my active imagination, or "specialness" as my mom always called it.